turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Now I have a valid Social Number can I go back and redo my taxes that they were done with a itin number

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
JaimeG

Now I have a valid Social Number can I go back and redo my taxes that they were done with a itin number

No you do not have to re-submit the Tax Returns that you submitted with the ITIN as your Tax Payer Identification Number. Instead you must report the cancellation of your ITIN to the IRS and let them know that you now have an Social Security Number. This process is called "Rescinding your ITIN". This is helpful in the long run to keep your Tax History and Credits intact with the IRS.

For instructions on Rescinding your ITIN please read below: 

"Once a SSN has been issued, you must use this number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN.  It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns.  It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so they can combine all of your tax records under one identification number.  If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due. 

You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.  Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Send your letter to:"  

Internal Revenue Service 

Austin, TX 73301-0057

I have submitted my return with ITIN can I resubmit with SSN nr

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

Once you qualify and obtain a SSN, you are required to notify the IRS of the change and discontinue using the ITIN. Once notified, the IRS will combine your tax records and begin using your SSN. Because the IRS automatically combines all of your tax records, you do not have to file an amended return to change the ITIN to a SSN. The IRS will automatically make the change to your tax return once it receives your request.

Write a letter to the IRS requesting that your ITIN be combined with your new SSN. Include your name, ITIN, Social Security number and mailing address.

Make a copy of your Social Security card.

Make a copy of your CP565 notice, which is the Notice of ITIN Assignment you received from the IRS when assigned your ITIN.

Attach the copies of your Social Security card and the CP565 form to the back of the letter.

Sign and date the letter. Mail all three documents to: Internal Revenue Service Austin, TX 73301-0057

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is there a way to track the status of my ITIN to the SSN update request? Also, can I directly go to the IRS office and submit the same?

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

Yes. You can go to an IRS office to submit the necessary documentation for your SSN.  To check the status of your ITIN to the SSN, you can call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040 if you are in the United States or 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number) if you are outside the United States.  

The following links will help to find the office nearest you.

Last year I filed my 1040 jointly with my wife who is an immigrant through TurboTax online. I and our two children are U.S. Citizens. At that time my wife had both a Social Security Number and an ITIN. We had filed our 2017 and 2018 tax returns jointly using her ITIN, but since she had her Social Security Number already for 2019, I intended to use that for the 2019 return. Also I knew the rule that I should use the SSN as soon as she received it, so I used it on our 2019 joint 1040 return.

Unfortunately TurboTax and the IRS failed to accept the online submission. I called TurboTax to ask why it was not accepted, and the agent told me that the rejection was based on "identity matching failed" for my wife. They said I would need to revise the return and use her ITIN, because the IRS did not recognize her SSN. I did that, and the return was accepted online.

Later in the Spring the IRS announced that families with ITIN filers would be ineligible for the CARES Economic Impact Benefit. As a result, we did not receive anything, even though we are eligible. The problem was TurboTax. I later found out that I should have printed our 2019 income tax return, using my wife's social security number, and sent it to the IRS together with a letter rescinding her ITIN, and a photocopy of her Social Security Card and Employment Authorization / Residence Card. I wish TurboTax had known that!

When I found out about this, I wrote a letter to IRS to explain all of this. I enclosed the required photocopy of her Social Security Card and mailed it by registered mail with a return receipt card. This card was never returned to me. I called the post office about this and they told me that there are trucks full of mail in Texas because the IRS is not working in the office. Who knows when this will ever be processed?

Apparently the IRS still does not recognize the eligibility of my wife, because they sent only $1800 for the second stimulus payment, rather than the $2400 for which we should have been eligible. Now is there anything I can do to correct this situation, and get the first $3400 we are entitled to as a family, and the additional $600 my wife should have received in January 2021?

Also, why did the TurboTax Call Center people not know this information? I doubt I will ever trust them again.

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

The Recovery Rebate Credit is a credit that was authorized by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. So, if you were eligible for an Economic Impact payment, commonly referred to as a stimulus payment, but did not receive one or you received less than the full amount as an advanced payment in 2020 then you can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return. Generally, the credit can increase your refund amount or lower the taxes you may owe. 

For more information, see:  What is a Recovery Rebate Tax Credit?

I understand that people who were eligible can file for this in their 2020 tax return. My problem is that IRS thinks I am NOT eligible. What I need to know is HOW can I change my status with the IRS so they will know that we were eligible, but on paper we are NOT eligible because I used my wife's ITIN instead of her SSN? How can I reverse the effect of using her ITIN? Also, how can I find out if they acted on her letter to rescind her ITIN and activate her SSN in their system?

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

Do not amend any returns that were completed before your wife received here individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).  The number to call the IRS can be used if you choose to find the current status of your request to change the ITIN to a social security number (SSN). Do not use the ITIN going forward any longer.

Keep in mind that the Social Security Administration and the IRS exchange information regularly.

• (January - April)  800-829-1040

• Telephone service wait times can average 15 minutes. Some telephone service lines may have longer wait times.
    • Telephone service wait times are higher on Monday and Tuesday, during Presidents Day weekend and around the April tax filing deadline.

The steps to inform the IRS about receipt of the SSN

Once you qualify and obtain a SSN, you are required to notify the IRS of the change and discontinue using the ITIN. Once notified, the IRS will combine your tax records and begin using your SSN. Because the IRS automatically combines all of your tax records, you do not have to file an amended return to change the ITIN to a SSN. The IRS will automatically make the change to your tax return once it receives your request.

1. Write a letter to the IRS requesting that your ITIN be combined with your new SSN. Include your name, ITIN, Social Security number and mailing address. 

2. Make a copy of your Social Security card.

3. Make a copy of your CP565 notice, which is the Notice of ITIN Assignment you received from the IRS when assigned your ITIN. 

4. Attach the copies of your Social Security card and the CP565 form to the back of the letter. 

5. Sign and date the letter. Mail all three documents to: Internal Revenue Service Austin, TX 73301-0057

For more information use this link: Additional ITIN Information

Angelny81
Returning Member

Hi so I have a question I was assigned a social security like 2 years ago I called the irs an let them know and I even went to the social security and add my taxes from 2011to 2015 to my Social but I still need to add the rest of the years in the past but the IRS says that they only send the copy of  last 7 years or transcript so how should I do to get old my tax records that I paid since 2001 I have the ORIGINAL ITIN NUMBER but I don't have CP565 NOTICE how to do it? I don't want to lose my old taxes that I paid please help me with this information as best as you can I thank you in advance 

No, there is no organization that is required to hold onto this information for more than 7 years. Therefore, they "purge" their systems for fraud protection purposes. If you are able to provide me with more information as to why you need these returns going back that far (perhaps, a sale of a house recently or something like that) I might be able to help you more in where you would be able to provide this information to you. 

Angelny81
Returning Member

The reason I need this information of my old taxes that I paid from 2001 is because I don’t want to lose those credits for my retirement in the future i though if IRS combine my ITIN NUMBER with my SSN it would be reflected for all those years

You can check with the Social Security Administration for this information. Depending on the State in which you reside, you might even have one not too far from where you live. Due to covid, you might need to make an appointment - that you can do online. ITIN and SSN's rarely have a disconnect in the funds that you have paid in over the years. It is always best to check with your local SSA to ensure that your balance looks accurate to you, however. Best of luck! Please ask if you have any further questions!

Angelny81
Returning Member

I think you missed understood menor I didn’t explain myself very well but thanks I called turbo tax and they helped me with what I need is very simple all my transcripts with those past years thanks again 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies