turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Not self-employed

I am not self-employed, yet I was last year. How do I change the filing type? I don't know if it affects my refund.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
jbeasley2

Not self-employed

You can downgrade your version of TurboTax Online by using the Clear and Start Over option.  This will clear everything from the return and you can start over using the version that you want. Changing the version won't affect the amount of your refund.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4248526

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jbeasley2

Not self-employed

You can downgrade your version of TurboTax Online by using the Clear and Start Over option.  This will clear everything from the return and you can start over using the version that you want. Changing the version won't affect the amount of your refund.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4248526

Carl
Level 15

Not self-employed

By "last year" I assume you mean 2017 tax year. If so, did you report the sale, closure or other disposition of your business on your 2017 return? If you did not, then the IRS is expecting a SCH C from you for 2018. If you did, yet business data was still imported from the 2017 tax file, then that means you didn't report everything in it's entirety on your 2017 taxes, concerning the sale, closure or other disposition of your business.

Now sometimes you did everything right. Yet the program still defaults you to the self-employed version. What you have to do in that case is "clear and start over" and that will allow you to select what flavor/version of the program you desire to start with. The "clear and start over" option is on the right, under tools. Note that if you have already registered or paid your TurboTax fees, then the clear and start over option will not be available or possible. You'll have to call TurboTax telephone support for that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies