turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nontaxable 1099-R is treated as income?

I bought some Athene Agility 10 Annuity by using my 401K money this year.  I imported the 1099-R from Fidelity. The money is nontaxable. It is listed as "Pensions - nontaxable" under the Income category. So my total income for the year 2023 is a much bigger number.  Is that right? I don't think it is my income. The money is NOT in my hand now.  Is there anything wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No.  The program is showing it as non-taxable income because it was reported as a distribution.  This is similar to what your Form 1040 will reflect.  Line 5a of Form 1040 shows distributions from "Pensions and Annuities" and Line 5b shows "Taxable amount" of line 5a.  As long as it is showing as nontaxable you have nothing to worry about. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What code is in box 7 on the 1099R?  If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check the actual 1040 form and make sure it's right. Check lines 4b & 5b for any taxable amounts. For a rollover line b should be zero and the word Rollover by it. 

Will this income difference affect the eligibility for this year's IRA/401K contribution?

G is in box 7. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies