Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nonresident return & part year confuse me. I moved from AZ to UT in October 2017 and am currently unemployed, how do I file that for my 2017 taxes?

I have been looking through questions similar to mine as well as searching for answers elsewhere. The whole nonresident return / part year confuses me because I never had to deal with this type of situation when it comes to doing my taxes. Basically I left my job in AZ 2017 and moved to Utah in October 2017. I have been unemployed since then and I haven't filed for unemployment because it's only been about 3 months and I am currently searching for a job as well as getting situated here.  Now I am filing my taxes to get it out of the way and I am stuck with the filing non resident return or part year" and if I am doing either what is the next step to finishing because I'm not working in utah yet.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
jtax
Level 10

Nonresident return & part year confuse me. I moved from AZ to UT in October 2017 and am currently unemployed, how do I file that for my 2017 taxes?

You need to file a Part-Year resident form in AZ (140PY). AZ will tax you on money earned before you moved to UT. If you made money from property (e.g. a rental home) or a business in AZ even after that, AZ will tax that also.

For 2017 you will also do a UT part-year resident form. UT will tax you on money earned after you moved to UT (and any money earned at any time from property or business in UT). 

You will have to check the UT part-year instructions to see if you need to file. You might need to file even if you owe nothing because the form is where you figure out how much income goes to your AZ time and how much goes to UT. The resulting income might put you below the filing requirement or it might not. Check the instructions or work out the form.

For 2018, if you stay in UT (and don't work in AZ), you should file a UT resident form and no AZ form.

https://incometax.utah.gov/instructions/nonresidents

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies