Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Non-qualifed (box 11) treatment

Hi there,

I have an amount in my box 11 for non-qualified plans. Basically, I receive a SERP which vests every 3 years. When a vesting event occurs, my company takes out 37% federal income tax and 2.35% for FICA because the risk of forfeiture (see note below) even though a distribution does not occur until after I separate from service. See note below. I am confused on how I should respond to the Turbo Tax question - "Did you take money out of your non-qualified pension plan (we just need to check whether the amount in box 11 is money you contributed to your plan or if it is money you took out of your plan". I answered no since I did not take any money out and it is not a distribution. Is that right? Checking yes or no seems to have no impact on my taxes.

Sincerely

Justin

"As a tax-exempt organization, XXXX has an obligation to withhold the Medicare portion of FICA tax and
both federal and state (if applicable) income tax on the value of vested benefits you earn each year in the
non-qualified retirement plans sponsored by XXX, even though plan benefits are not distributable
until after you separate from service. Participants in the Defined Contribution Restoration Plan (DC
Restoration Plan) and the Defined Contribution Supplemental Executive Retirement Plan (DC SERP) are
affected by this requirement.

Once vested, the IRS no longer considers the benefit subject to a “substantial risk of forfeiture,” and, under
IRS rules, a non-qualified plan benefit that is no longer subject to a substantial risk of forfeiture becomes
taxable. You are receiving this letter because you are being taxed in accordance with these IRS rules.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Non-qualifed (box 11) treatment

"Did you take money out of your non-qualified pension plan (we just need to check whether the amount in box 11 is money you contributed to your plan or if it is money you took out of your plan". I answered no since I did not take any money out and it is not a distribution. Is that right? Checking yes or no seems to have no impact on my taxes.   Correct ... you made contributions not distributions at this time.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies