turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my 20 yr old son as a dependent een if he claims himself on his own taxes? Someone mentioned I should claim him as an independant. Not sure how?

He is a full time student and lives at home.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Can I claim my 20 yr old son as a dependent een if he claims himself on his own taxes? Someone mentioned I should claim him as an independant. Not sure how?

No, you can not claim your son as a dependent on your tax return if he is claiming an exemption for himself on his own tax return.

However, if your son meets the definition of a "qualifying child" and he is only filing a tax return to claim his refund, you may be able to claim him as a dependent as long as when he files his tax return, he does not claim an exemption for himself on his personal tax return but instead only takes the claim for a standard or itemized deduction (In TurboTax, you son would need to answer "yes" on his tax return to the question that someone else can claim his on their tax return (under the personal Information section) 

There are 5 tests to claim a "qualifying child" on your tax return (TurboTax will guide you through this section)

• related to you—your son, daughter, stepchild, adopted child, foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild, niece, or nephew).
  • under age 19 (or a student under 24)—the child must be under age 19 at the end of the tax year, or under age 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or any age if permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.
  • not self-supporting—did not pay for over half of his or her own support during the year.
  • lives with you—either for more than half of the year or falls within special rules for children of parents who are divorced, separated, or living apart (temporary absences for things like schooling, medical treatment, vacations, business, or military service don’t count.)
  • U.S. citizen or resident—a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or resident of the United States, Canada, or Mexico for some part of the year.

So your only choices are that he is either a dependent (you can claim him) or not a dependent (you can not claim him).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DS30

No, you can not claim your son as a dependent on your tax return if he is claiming an exemption for himself on his own tax return.

However, if your son meets the definition of a "qualifying child" and he is only filing a tax return to claim his refund, you may be able to claim him as a dependent as long as when he files his tax return, he does not claim an exemption for himself on his personal tax return but instead only takes the claim for a standard or itemized deduction (In TurboTax, you son would need to answer "yes" on his tax return to the question that someone else can claim his on their tax return (under the personal Information section) 

There are 5 tests to claim a "qualifying child" on your tax return (TurboTax will guide you through this section)

• related to you—your son, daughter, stepchild, adopted child, foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild, niece, or nephew).
  • under age 19 (or a student under 24)—the child must be under age 19 at the end of the tax year, or under age 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or any age if permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.
  • not self-supporting—did not pay for over half of his or her own support during the year.
  • lives with you—either for more than half of the year or falls within special rules for children of parents who are divorced, separated, or living apart (temporary absences for things like schooling, medical treatment, vacations, business, or military service don’t count.)
  • U.S. citizen or resident—a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or resident of the United States, Canada, or Mexico for some part of the year.

So your only choices are that he is either a dependent (you can claim him) or not a dependent (you can not claim him).

Can I claim him as a nondependent?
DS30

Unfortunately, there is no such designation - he is either a dependent (you can claim him) or not a dependent (you can not claim him)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies