turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which income to report for Non-resident alien

I am non-resident alien and came to US first time on 1st Sept. 2016. I received salary from Jan to Aug 2016 in my country India and from Sept to Dec 2016 in US. Whether I am required to pay tax in US on my salary received in India. I want to pay tax on my Indian salary in India only. Please help.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

Which income to report for Non-resident alien

No reporting of India-sourced income or paying US income taxes on India-sourced income if you are considered a nonresident alien.

For any part of the year you are considered a nonresident alien (whether that is the full year or only part of the year), you will only include US-source income for that part of the year you are not considered a US citizen or resident alien. Therefore, you will not have to include your Indian wages (India-sourced income) or pay any US income taxes on any India-sourced wages unless earned during the part of the tax year you are considered a US citizen or resident alien.

Consult the  US Tax Guide for Aliens to determine your residency status relating to filing US federal income taxes.

If you are considered a nonresident alien or Dual-status alien will depend on your visa type and if you meet the green card test or the substantial presence test, in 2016.

If you do not meet the two above tests or you have a visa exemption, you will be considered a nonresident aliens and will file Form 1040NR to report your US source income. Form 1040NR is not supported by TurboTax

TurboTax does not support dual status filings and they can be quite complicated.

For your First Year of Residency, the US Tax Guide for Aliens states that if you are a U.S. resident for the calendar year, but you were not a U.S. resident at any time during the preceding calendar year, you are a U.S. resident only for the part of the calendar year that begins on the residency starting date. You are a nonresident alien for the part of the year before that date.

Here is a link to the IRS website for Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return

Manage cookies