I'm an independent contractor and one of my sources of income is a foreign based company. They sent me a 1099-NEC, but it doesn't have anything listed in the "payer's TIN" box and when I've contacted them they say they don't have the ability to acquire one as they are in the UK. What do I put for this section when filing?
The 1099-NEC is now used to report independent contractor income. If you're a 1099 contractor or sole proprietor, you must file a Schedule C with your taxes.
If your 1099-NEC doesn't have employer Identification Number, you can report the income directly on the Schedule C as other business income
To enter your business income in TurboTax:
- Type Schedule c in the search/find bar and click search/find.
- Click on Jump to
- Click on start/edit or Add Another Business.
- At the Your XXX Business screen:
- To enter your income, scroll down to Business Income.
- To enter your business expenses, scroll down to Business Expenses, Other Common Business Expenses. Click Start/Edit.
- Continue with the onscreen interview.
I get a "add another source of income" button, not a "add another business," and when I click through that it won't allow me to add the information because I received a 1099NEC but there is not EID so it won't accept it.