turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My child lives with us and we claimed her as a dependent. We paid her student loan int. She will not be filing a return. Can I claim the paid int on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My child lives with us and we claimed her as a dependent. We paid her student loan int. She will not be filing a return. Can I claim the paid int on my taxes?

That link says the following: "You're legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan."

Since you are not on the loan, you do not have this obligation, and thus cannot deduct it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Did you cosign the loan?

No I did not cosign.  My initial thought was no I couldn't take the int. payment since I'm not on the loan. Then I saw this answer (link) and thought I better double check.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302319">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302319</a>

That link says the following: "You're legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan."

Since you are not on the loan, you do not have this obligation, and thus cannot deduct it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies