turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dubis003

Will I be penalized under the ACA if my 26 year old son lost his insurance coverage last September and he qualifies as a dependent? He has an exemption.

He turned 26 last September and fell off of my insurance on Sept. 29th.

He filed on Healthcare.GOV and received an exemption

He qualifies as dependent for me for 2016 as he didn't work.

Will I be penalized based upon my income since he is a dependent?

Can I choose to NOT count him as a dependent if penalties would apply?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Will I be penalized under the ACA if my 26 year old son lost his insurance coverage last September and he qualifies as a dependent? He has an exemption.

No, he will not be penalized.  However, you are going to want his exemption certificate to file it for the last 3 months of the year that the exemption applies.  Since you had him covered with insurance until September, you select those months in TurboTax as months he had insurance.  Then you will select October, November, and December as months he did not have coverage but did have an exemption.  TurboTax will ask you for the information from his certificate, which you will input on your tax return since he is your dependent.

(You could choose not to claim him if penalties would be greater than the benefit, but in this case, you shouldn't be penalized).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

No, he will not be penalized.  However, you are going to want his exemption certificate to file it for the last 3 months of the year that the exemption applies.  Since you had him covered with insurance until September, you select those months in TurboTax as months he had insurance.  Then you will select October, November, and December as months he did not have coverage but did have an exemption.  TurboTax will ask you for the information from his certificate, which you will input on your tax return since he is your dependent.

(You could choose not to claim him if penalties would be greater than the benefit, but in this case, you shouldn't be penalized).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies