turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mbrock

Received foster care payments. Are these deductible or do I need to add in as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

Received foster care payments. Are these deductible or do I need to add in as income?

No.  Foster Care Payments received from an official child placement agency, such as a state or local government, are not considered taxable income, and do not need to be reported on your income tax return in any way.  Neither are they deductible from your otherwise taxable income.

The reasoning here is that the foster care money you receive from the government is primarily intended for the direct support of the foster child, and is not intended as income (profit) to the foster parents.

Hopefully that answer and brief explanation makes sense.  Thanks for asking this important question!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

No.  Foster Care Payments received from an official child placement agency, such as a state or local government, are not considered taxable income, and do not need to be reported on your income tax return in any way.  Neither are they deductible from your otherwise taxable income.

The reasoning here is that the foster care money you receive from the government is primarily intended for the direct support of the foster child, and is not intended as income (profit) to the foster parents.

Hopefully that answer and brief explanation makes sense.  Thanks for asking this important question!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies