Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tcolefyi
Returning Member

Newly wed Canadian/American couple

I am a Canadian graduate student here in Florida on an F1 visa waiver. I married my wife (American) in June of 2021. The university of Florida provides a free tax filing service for all graduate students and I've used that for the past 3 years. However, now that I'm married, I wonder if it would make more sense to file with my wife? To provide a bit more information, I'm in the process of changing my immigration status but the process takes a while and hasn't gone through yet.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

It depends on your income and your wife's income. There's not enough information for an answer.

You can elect to file married filing joint because your wife is a US citizen, in which case your combined worldwide income will be subject to US income tax. If you had little or no income you may actually benefit in filing this way.

For more information on the election see Nonresident Spouse.

I suggest you speak in person with your university tax service. They probably handle many foreign students and would be more familiar with your situation.

You can also contact our nonresident tax partner Sprintax.com since you have an F-1 visa.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tcolefyi
Returning Member

Thanks Ernie, and yes, Sprintax is who handles my taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies