Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Newly married but compliacted by two differant residances in two diffearnt states

My Wife and I were married in June of 2022, however because she could not move from AZ to Texas we kept separate dwellings.  She also has about 50 K in earnings and I have over 120K. She also had a cap gaines of 30K in 22 and I Had a Cap gains loss of $26500. from the same company shares sold.  AZ has state income tax texas does not.

I have been told with all this we need t files married but filing separate. 

Is this the best way to file. Also Can I have a conversation with someone.

Thank yo Jerry Wilcox

[email address removed]

[phone number removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BettieG
Employee Tax Expert

Newly married but compliacted by two differant residances in two diffearnt states

Hi @Jwilcox3967!

Congratulations on your marriage!  It's a great question:  should you file Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately for 2022?

First, take a look at this article: Is it better for a married couple to file jointly or separately?  There are several considerations to this question, which are described in that article.

Second, the only way to actually know which filing status would benefit you the most, is to prepare your tax return both ways, and then see which is more beneficial.  You can do that a couple of ways:

1.  If you're using TurboTax Desktop (CD/Download), try the method set forth in this article.

2.  If you're using TurboTax Online, prepare the .return in one account as MFJ.  Then, create another account, and prepare the return as MFS.  Then, compare.

Finally, you asked to speak to someone live.  You can do that!  Please log into your TurboTax Online account, and click on "Ask an Expert" in the bottom right hand corner on any of the interview screens or call (800) 446-8848.

I hope this helps!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies