Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New York City Resident Moving to Philadelphia for Job

I currently work and live in NYC. I will move to Philadelphia for a job opportunity. I own my apartment in NYC (it is my primary residence). When I move to Philadelphia, I will rent an apartment there. I will rent out my NYC apartment and will no longer live there.

How will this impact my taxes? Will I pay Philadelphia/PA city and state income taxes? Will I have to pay any NYC/NY city and state income taxes because I will continue to own my apartment there, but will not be living there? How will my move from NYC to Philadelphia for a job impact my taxes? Will I end up paying more in taxes? What is the best way to file my taxes so I paying the least amount of taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Will I pay Philadelphia/PA city and state income taxes?  Yes, income taxes on the income you earn once you become a resident.

Will I have to pay any NYC/NY city and state income taxes because I will continue to own my apartment there, but will not be living there?  Yes, income taxes on the income you earn once you give up your residency and the rent earned on the NYC rental.  You need to give up the homestead on the NY residence once you convert it to a rental so you can avoid NY income taxes on the PA income. 

How will my move from NYC to Philadelphia for a job impact my taxes?  In the year of move you will file part year PA & NY returns ... after the year of the move you will file resident PA return and a non resident NY return ( compute the NY return first so you get credit on the PA return).

Will I end up paying more in taxes?  Not really ... see the prior answer for the correct way to file.

What is the best way to file my taxes so I paying the least amount of taxes?  The best way is the correct way ... in the year of the move you may want to use a local tax pro to get this done correctly, set up the rental properly and get educated on what can be a complicated situation with the PA & NY state taxes & the local/city taxes.  

When do I become a resident of PA? Is is automatically applied once I move there and start working there? Or is there something more official I need to do i.e. file paperwork with some government agency?

How do I give up the homestead on my NY residence once I convert it to a renal property?

What if I decide to keep NYC as my primary resident, rent an apartment in Philadelphia while working in Philadelphia? Will I end up paying more in taxes?

When do I become a resident of PA? Is is automatically applied once I move there and start working there? Or is there something more official I need to do i.e. file paperwork with some government agency?  Once again I highly recommend you seek a local professional to discuss all your questions.  Check with PA for the residency requirements.  Usually when you move you need to change your DL, voter's registration, etc. which will set up residency status.

How do I give up the homestead on my NY residence once I convert it to a renal property?  This is done thru the RE tax office.  

What if I decide to keep NYC as my primary resident, rent an apartment in Philadelphia while working in Philadelphia?  Will I end up paying more in taxes?   Again this is a longer discussion you should have with a local tax pro since what is legal and what you can do and how it affects your tax situation is too intricate to be addressed in this public interntet forum.  One item you will need to address is the renting of your personal residence ... need to let the state/city/home owner's insurance/mortgage company know of the change in use just to name a few subjects to discuss.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies