Solved: New immigrant with income less than $10,000

mobius

New immigrant with income less than $10,000

Hi,

I received my green card in Sep, 2016. My oversea income since then till the end of 2016 was $8,000. For that income, did I need to file tax return in 2017? (It doesn't seem high enough to file, but I just want to confirm that I didn't violate any IRS rule.)

SusanY1

If all of your income world wide (U.S. and overseas) was under $12,200 and none of it was from self-employment then you likely do not need to file a tax return. To double-check, I recommend taking a few minutes to go through this Interactive Tax Assistant: Do I need to file a tax return?

If you do not need to file one, may want to complete the non-filer information form in order to determine if you are eligible for an economic impact payment.  You will find that tool here: Non-filer information form.

SusanY1