Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Need to request a filing extension

1 Reply
New Member

Need to request a filing extension

An IRS extension gives you until October 16 to file, but it doesn't give you until October to pay your taxes. Those are still due by midnight, April 18.

(Expecting a refund? You may not need an extension. Read more here.)

Below are 5 different ways to file your IRS extension (click or tap here for info about state extensions).

  1. Make a payment to the IRS and select Form 4868 as the payment type.
  2. Search for extend inside your TurboTax program, then click or tap the "Jump to" link.
  3. Sign in at, then select Easy Extension from the MyTurboTax menu (mobile devices: tap the upper-left corner to access this menu).
  4. Sign in at the Easy Extension website to e-file your extension.
  5. Download and print Form 4868, fill it out, and get it postmarked before midnight April 18. Payment and mailing instructions are on pages 3 and 4 of your printout.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings