Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DKs7

Need help

Hi my permanent address is in nyc.

but currently i work in ohio and own an apartment too because of my work here. I need to drive car regularly in ohio and own nyc drivers license.

Also to mention my paycheck have the address of nyc printed on it.

And i will be filing my taxes in nyc.

Also i am planning to get a car in ohio because i will need a car to commute to my job. Also ohio needs ohio drivers license to drive car in ohio.

So my question is.

Can i file my taxes in NYC, if i own apartment and work in ohio?

Is it ok to get drivers license in ohio with the address of my apartment in ohio?

Will i be considered resident of ohio or NYC if i file taxes in NYC?

Can i buy and register my car in Ohio?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Need help

It depends on how much time you spend in New York and Ohio.

If you maintain a permanent residence in New York City and make no attempt to become a resident of Ohio, then you are still a NY resident. The driver’s license, car, and apartment in OH are necessary for your job, so they don’t automatically make you an OH resident.

If you own a home or co-op in NYC or continued to pay rent in NYC while working in OH then you would be a NY resident. 

If can also be a NY resident if you claim to be an OH resident but:

• you maintain a permanent place of abode in New York State for substantially all of the taxable year; and
  • you spend 184 days or more in New York State during the taxable year. Any part of a day is a day for this purpose, and you do not need to be present at the permanent place of abode for the day to count as a day in New York.

If you are a NY resident, all your income is taxed by NY. You can claim a credit on the NY return for tax paid to OH. 

If you are a NY non-resident then none of your OH income is taxable to NY and you do not have to file a NY return unless you have other NY income.

See Frequently Asked Questions about Filing Requirements, Residency, and Telecommuting for New York Stat...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies