Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need Help on Entering Deferred Salary W2

I have a W2 for deferred salary. The amount in box 1 is the same as box 11, non-qualified plans.  After entering the data, TurboTax asks "Did you take money out of your nonqualified pension plan?"  I answer "Yes, I took this money out of my nonqualified or Section 457 plan." Other choice being no I contributed to a plan.  Then TurboTax requires me to select a state and fill in the Amount box.  I don't understand why I need to do this.   My deferred salary is not a 457 plan.  The income was earned and paid in the same state I still live in, so I'm OK selecting New York, but what about the amount.   Should that be the same as in boxes 1 and 11?   If so, what is  the purpose of this question and is it relevant for a non-457 plan?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have the same question. My income was earned in Washington state, but I now live in Virginia... which state should I enter? And do I enter 100% of the compensation? 

@charlieb60 , I am glad to know I'm not the only one puzzled by this. Not seeing any answer or logic to the TurboTax question I went ahead and completed my return, answering with my home state and the full box 1/11 amount.  I reviewed the generated state and federal tax forms and couldn't see how the answer to this question influenced anything.  Not that I'm expert enough to know! Your situation, involving two states, is a bit more complicated, however, so this doesn't really help you.  But I thought you'd be interested.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Since WA does not have a state income tax, the deferred salary will not be taxed by them, only your resident state. Enter VA, the taxable amount should carry to your state. Check your tax forms to make certain only the taxable portion is showing as additional income on your VA return.

To see your forms:

• In desktop, switch to Forms Mode. 
  • For online:
    1. On the left side, select  Tax Tools
    2. Select Print center
    3. Select Print, save or preview this year's return
    4. If you have not paid, select pay now.

@charlieb60 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies