hat7684

Native American Arizona

I am a Native American living and working on my reservation.   I filed my state return last year with TurboTax and when I answered the question about exemption for being NA, it automatically accepted the exemption.  This year I answered the same question, but no exemption was taken.   Do I need to enter the exemption amount in some other way?

JotikaT2

Native American Arizona

It depends.

You should have answered one more question in the state interview section.

1. Go back into the state interview section.
  2. As you answer the questions, you will see a screen that says Any Income Adjustment.  
  3. You should have selected "I am a Native American who earned wages while working and living on a reservation."

Once you check that box and select continue, you will see the following screen.  

Wage exclusion amount

Be sure to enter the amount of the wages that should be excluded in the box as shown above.

hat7684

Native American Arizona

I did check this box, but the amount did not show up, so I put the deduction under addtional deductions with a detailed description.