Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My zip code is wrong on return how do I change this now that it is sent?

I filed my return but I see my zip code is wrong how do I change after filling?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

You cannot change your ZIP code, or anything else on your tax return, after you've filed it.

However, while it is not ever possible to be absolutely, positively, 100% sure, this probably should not delay or impact your tax refund in any way.  As long as your name, Social Security Number (SSN) and other tax data on your return are correct, then an incorrect (or mistyped) postal ZIP code alone should not matter.

In fact, if you filed in such a way as to request an electronic tax refund sent directly to your bank (or anything other than a paper check), then the IRS wouldn't even need to look at, or use, your ZIP code at all.  They will just use your bank account and routing numbers.  Only in the instance if they were to mail you a paper refund or a letter would the ZIP code ever be used by the IRS.  And even in that event, as long as your street address (e.g., 1234 Easy Street), city, and state are correct, then the IRS can standardize and correct the ZIP code as they may need.

In fact, the USPS (Postal Service) has such a free tool for correcting and finding accurate ZIP codes on their website.

https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action

Certainly, the IRS is smart enough to use that, or a database very similar, should the need arise.

In other words, you should not worry about this.  Typographical errors happen all of the time.

Thanks for asking this question.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
GeoffreyG

You cannot change your ZIP code, or anything else on your tax return, after you've filed it.

However, while it is not ever possible to be absolutely, positively, 100% sure, this probably should not delay or impact your tax refund in any way.  As long as your name, Social Security Number (SSN) and other tax data on your return are correct, then an incorrect (or mistyped) postal ZIP code alone should not matter.

In fact, if you filed in such a way as to request an electronic tax refund sent directly to your bank (or anything other than a paper check), then the IRS wouldn't even need to look at, or use, your ZIP code at all.  They will just use your bank account and routing numbers.  Only in the instance if they were to mail you a paper refund or a letter would the ZIP code ever be used by the IRS.  And even in that event, as long as your street address (e.g., 1234 Easy Street), city, and state are correct, then the IRS can standardize and correct the ZIP code as they may need.

In fact, the USPS (Postal Service) has such a free tool for correcting and finding accurate ZIP codes on their website.

https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action

Certainly, the IRS is smart enough to use that, or a database very similar, should the need arise.

In other words, you should not worry about this.  Typographical errors happen all of the time.

Thanks for asking this question.

Maree2k20

This was so helpful that you lord 🥺 I was worried about if my zip code was going to effect me but other than my baking info is correct so now I don’t have to worry no more 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies