• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjgraham713

My wife started doing 1099 work and is trying to file her estimated quarterly taxes. If we're filing jointly (I'm the primary), should it be under my name?

I will have a W2 at the end of the year and the whole filing will be under my name. If she makes estimated payments  under her name will it still be linked to our filing at the end of the year?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
tagteam
Level 15

My wife started doing 1099 work and is trying to file her estimated quarterly taxes. If we're filing jointly (I'm the primary), should it be under my name?

Estimated payments can be made under either your name or her name if you are filing a joint return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
tagteam
Level 15

Estimated payments can be made under either your name or her name if you are filing a joint return.

Critter-3
Level 15

Although they can be paid under either of your SS numbers the IRS has a tendency to not match  the spouses estimate to a joint return so unless the spouse objects all estimates for a joint return should be made under the first person listed on the joint return to avoid IRS issues and delays.    And once you set up who is listed first and second on the tax return  do NOT change that order in future years as that also confuses the IRS. 

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v