My wife made $2,094.16 from non employee compensation on a 1099, with no federal income tax withheld. When I add her 1099, it taxes for 23% of that income. Why so much?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wife made $2,094.16 from non employee compensation on a 1099, with no federal income tax withheld. When I add her 1099, it taxes for 23% of that income. Why so much?

We lose $491 of her $2094 earned. That seems high and I don't understand why it is so much.
1 Reply
Alumni

If the income was reported in Box 3 of the 1099-MISC, then it is classified as other income. It is added to your other income and taxed at whatever your marginal tax rate is.
If the income was reported in Box 7 of the 1099-MISD, then it is classified as self-employment income. It is added to your other income and taxed at whatever your marginal tax rate is, and, in addition you have to pay 15.3% self-employment tax on it.
v
Privacy Settings