Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I are dual military and have different state residencies: California, and Oklahoma. Which product should we use and does it include the state filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

My wife and I are dual military and have different state residencies: California, and Oklahoma. Which product should we use and does it include the state filing?

It depends on whether you want to file together or separately on you state income tax returns. If you want to file together for state, you can use TurboTax Online and file under one account. If you file separately for state, you would need two online accounts and would have to pay twice. In that case, CD\Desktop is better because you can prepare multiple returns.

California and Oklahoma both allow you to file married or separate.

If you file together in those states, both states will tax your total income and give you credit for tax paid to the other state, which means you will probably pay more in state tax.

You can also file married joint for federal and separate for CA and OK. That will probably give you the best results. Click on How do I prepare a joint federal return and separate state returns?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CasonUnit
Returning Member

Good Day,

We are trying to file joint, on the same account. I do not need to file for Nevada, but She needs to file for Delaware, but when I start state taxes Delaware tries to tax our joint income. Should we file separately for state and joint federal, or separately all together? Is there a way to file for Delaware on just her income on a joint file?

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies