princesswebb2625

My taxes are saying my employer withheld too much SS but my employer states that do not do that

LeeM

It may be possible that you have too much in SS tax withheld if you had made more than $127,200 in 2017. Once you hit $127,200 in income, you should not have to pay SS tax on any additional amount.

Example: In 2018, you worked at company A and earned $70,000 before you switched employers. At company B, you earned $65,900.

Social Security taxes would be withheld from the $135,900 you earned in 2017, but the maximum taxable earnings for the year are only $127,200.

You would claim a refund of the Social Security taxes withheld from the last $8,700 in earnings when you filed your 2017 personal income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).