Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My tax return is still processing for so long. Am i gonna get it this year?

I'm a uni student that worked in the US last summer through work&travel program. I filed my tax return using Turbotax, and when I filed it, my W-2 had an incorrect SSN. I just wrote my SSN correctly in the filling row but attached the W-2 despite it. After 21 days my return was still processing so I asked my employer for W-2c so I can get my tax return processed through. My employer sent the W-2c after a month and a half and the experts in the community advised me that IRS would process my tax return as soon as my SSN is corrected and the W-2c is sent to IRS and the return should be deposited to my account after 2-3 weeks by itself but it's been more than 5 weeks now since and I don't know what to do more. Do I amend? My friends that amended theirs last year said that they haven't gotten theirs since amending and it's a bad idea. So I'm stuck not knowing what to do. I called IRS 2 weeks ago about it and they said would send me an identification verification document to help with it but even if I can't fill that document the return should be sent if there's no problem. But I'm outside of the state and I can't even receive the ID document IRS sent me so now I'm really confused. Is it even possible to receive my return now? I really need the return as quickly as possible it's really hard for me not knowing what to do. Please help me with your inputs.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If the IRS told you to wait that is what you should do. 

The SS administration must process the corrected W-2 then update the IRS files and then the return needs to be processed fully after being delayed on someone's desk/cue.  The updating can take several weeks and when that someone gets back to processing your return the refund will eventually be released ... next time to not file a return with an incorrect SS# on it prior to the corrected form being filed.   All you can do is wait ... the return will eventually get processed.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies