Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My state keeps getting returned

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Cindy0H

This may look complicated, but here is how to fix the rejection.

This is the problem:

This return could not be processed for electronic filing by Illinois because of an issue with one or more of the pieces of information used to validate the signature: IL PIN, Prior Year AGI, Driver's License or State ID Number.

This is the solution:

To fix this error, please follow these steps carefully. - Make sure you have entered the previous year's IL AGI correctly. Verify that you have entered your nine digit zip code correctly.  

Verify Your IL PIN at https://www.revenue.state.il.us/app/pini/servlet/PINInquiry . Make sure to enter all 8 digits (This is not your 5 digit federal PIN). 

Verify your IL drivers license or state ID number is entered correctly. - If it is your first year filing with IL, you will have to enter your IL Drivers License or state ID information. Enter each field exactly as it is on your IL Drivers License or state ID (First Name, Middle Name, Last Name, Suffix (leave blank if necessary), and weight. - You may not use an out-of-state or expired drivers license. - 

You may need to print and mail your return if the reject continues after re-transmitting. 

Please review and correct the Primary taxpayer's signature requirements. At least one of the following signature fields must be present and valid on the Dept. Of Revenue's file: IL PIN, Prior Year AGI, Driver's License or State ID Number.  

You may not use an out-of-state drivers license. 

Here are the steps for fixing the PIN error for IL state: To re-sign your return: 1. Click the Print & File tab, then click File a Return below it. 2. Click the blue E-file button. 3. Make sure Illinois has been selected to e-file, then Continue to the "Review Your Illinois Filing Info" screen. Click Edit next to "You are consenting and signing your return electronically." 4. Scroll down to update your PIN or to select a different method of signing your return (state ID, driver's license, IL Prior year AGI, or 9-digit ZIP). If you only entered the 9-digit ZIP before, try enter other pieces of information (IL PIN, IL Prior Year AGI). 5. After updating, click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions to re-file. If you do not have your IL-PIN, you can get it by calling 1 800 732-8866 to see if an IL-PIN has been assigned. You can also check online at: https://www.revenue.state.il.us/app/pini/servlet/PINInquiry

The screens you describe in your post, TurboTaxCindyH, don't show for me and my version of Turbo Tax Deluxe.  I do not see where I have a way to edit my Illinois PIN at all.  I would love to give it a shot if I could.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies