Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My spouse owes state taxes from last years refund.

So my spouse owes state refund taxes and didn't pay on the due date given we are currently in a slump of things and can't pay it back atm. We mixed up our priorities and forgot about the due date. Since we didn't pay on the date given and we haven't gotten anything in the mail about it will they be just removing what owed from 2023s refunds when we file jointly? I'm a worry rabbit and I can't seem to find the right answer online. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My spouse owes state taxes from last years refund.

You have not mentioned whether you filed a joint return for 2022, or if you filed separate returns for 2022---"my spouse owes  state taxes...."

If your spouse owes your state for 2022 tax due, he can expect a letter soon from the state requesting payment, although he has not yet received it.   With every day that goes by without paying the state, he is accruing interest owed on that tax that was due by the April deadline.   If the tax due is not paid, then when he ---and or the two of you jointly-- file for 2023, the state will seize his 2023 refund, or your joint refund for the 2022 tax due + the interest owed.    The state can also ask the IRS to seize a 2023 federal tax refund to offset the tax due to the state.

You have not mentioned what state you are in.  It would be a good idea for your spouse to begin making payments to the state for what is owed.   Most states prefer to be paid via check or money order, or by payments made on the state's tax website.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies