Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Carl
Level 15

My spouse already filed and received his amended return but we never entered my income info. We have 2 separate Turbotax accounts. Now my returns keep getting rejected because my SSN was listed alread

If your status was married on Dec 31 of the tax year, it does not matter if you were married at 11:59pm on Dec 31 of that tax year. Your tax filing status for the entire year is "married". You only have two filing status options. Married filing separate, or married filing joint. For a married couple to file separate returns will almost always (like 99.9999999999% of the time) result in higher taxes be assessed and less deductions being allowed.

When you select the status of "Married Filing Joint" then only one tax return is filed. There are no exceptions. On that one joint tax return both married persons will include all of their income received from all sources for the entire tax year.

So if your husband filed an amended return and added you to it as a tax filer (not as a dependent) ***AND*** he added your income to the amended return also, then  you are done. Period. There is nothing else to be done.

My spouse already filed and received his amended return but we never entered my income info. We have 2 separate Turbotax accounts. Now my returns keep getting rejected because my SSN was listed alread

The OP posted back that none of her information was included on the spouses separate return amended to a joint return.  That will require amending the amended joint return to add her information -  very messy and difficult to do for a non-professional.     In addition, they also need to be aware that it can take up to 4 months for the first amended return to be processed by the IRS.   Adding another amended return to the mix before the 1st amended return has be fully processed can cause *extensive* delays in processing either.

I recommend professional advice.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Agreed ... seek professional assistance asap.

I'm wondering if instead of amending return I could just paper file my stuff?

NO!  You have to add your stuff to the Joint return.  You have a mess.  Better take everything that was already filed and your income to a local tax accountant.  

NO !!!!  You MUST amend the amended  return AFTER it has been processed.  If you send in a return with just you on it when you are on the other return already  it will  mess everything up royally.  And IFFF the mailed in return gets processed before the amended return already in line then your situation just got 1000% more messy.  

Seek professional help ASAP.

Amended returns can ONLY be paper filed.  If your spouse already amended his separate return to joint then the ONLY option is to amend that joint return to add your information.   As said that is not simple or easy.

Which brings up a question not asked before --- DID your spouse actually mail in a 1040X changing his separate return to joint?  If he did not print and mail it then he did not amend at all.

Is his amended return in the IRS system?  
You can check the status of his amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after mailing.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1">http...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

"spouse already filed and received his amended return"

Good catch ... this post has gone on so long we forgot the first line.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies