My son was born in the UK, but the embassy is clos...

densmokm

My son was born in the UK, but the embassy is closed due to covid and has been since his birth. How can I get him a SSN so I can claim him as a dependent?

JeffreyR77

densmokm

Thanks but the issue I’m having is that it says to mail original documents to the embassy but if you go on the embassy’s website they say they are not using mail correspondence  since last March. They also haven’t replied in over a week since I tried emailing them. 

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/

I can’t tell you how to get the ssn but you need to know that if you don’t get it before you file, your child will qualify for a reduced tax credit and won’t qualify for a stimulus rebate and you won’t be able to get those benefits by filing an amended return later.  You must have the Social Security number when you file an on-time tax return. An on-time tax return includes a return that is filed as late as October 15, as long as you request the automatic extension before April 15.

You might try calling the state department in Washington, or you might try calling a congress person or senator from your home state.  Could you take a train to a less locked down country in Europe? What about Ireland or Scotland?  Can you get a Covid test and then fly back to the United States for a few days?  Maybe things will be more normal in May or June.  If you don’t have a Social Security number when you file your tax return, it will cost you a minimum of $3100 in lost tax benefits.