Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son is away for College in OR and I (parent) claim him as a dependent. How would I file his residence as of December 31,2022? His W2 is from Oregon and I am in HI.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

My son is away for College in OR and I (parent) claim him as a dependent. How would I file his residence as of December 31,2022? His W2 is from Oregon and I am in HI.

His residence would be his home state or HI since he is only away temporarily for college. 

This means he will file a non-resident OR return and a resident HI return.  He will need to do OR first and then claim a credit on HI for taxes paid to OR. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your prompt response.  Does Turbotax have the OR non resident return form for me to file his taxes?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, there is an Oregon tax return available in TurboTax for your son to file with the filing status of dependent. He would enter the status of non-resident to report the W-2 income that he received. 

@ryderrebibis01 

Thank you for your prompt response.  I'm at a stuck at one of the questions.  So I have him as Hawaii resident (I am claiming him) and there's a question that asks if he lived in another state, which he is living in Oregon for college. How would I answer that?  Do I keep it at Hawaii?  Because I put Oregon down, but I keep getting a message to correct it?  Please advise.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Living at college is considered a temporary absence so you are still counted as living at home. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies