Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

anthoey10

My son is 19 student and his wages for 2018 was $1127.50 and withheld tax was $44.24. Do we have to file for it

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My son is 19 student and his wages for 2018 was $1127.50 and withheld tax was $44.24. Do we have to file for it

No, if that was his only income.

But, you can use free turboTax to get his $44 back.

He would file his own return. You do not add your dependent's income to your tax return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

No, if that was his only income.

But, you can use free turboTax to get his $44 back.

He would file his own return. You do not add your dependent's income to your tax return.

He files his own return taking care to check the box saying someone can claim him.

DanaB
Expert Alumni

Your son will have to file his own tax return if he does wish to receive a refund. If he is your qualifying dependent please ensure that he checks "I can be claimed as a dependent" when filing. Please see this FAQ for additional information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302185

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies