Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son had a job over the summer and i have his W2. where do i enter his wage information?

He is 18 and a college student and worked for 2-3 months after he graduated high school
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My son had a job over the summer and i have his W2. where do i enter his wage information?

You do not enter a dependent child's earned income from wages reported on a W-2 or income from self-employment on your tax return.  The dependent can file their own tax return and indicate on the return that they can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  

The dependent child does not have to file a tax return if the wages reported on the W-2 were less than $6,300 but if taxes were withheld they should file a tax return for a refund.  If the income was from self-employment of $400 or more then they would be required to file a tax return.

Your state may have different filing requirements than federal for dependents, so check your state tax website for information.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You do not enter a dependent child's earned income from wages reported on a W-2 or income from self-employment on your tax return.  The dependent can file their own tax return and indicate on the return that they can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  

The dependent child does not have to file a tax return if the wages reported on the W-2 were less than $6,300 but if taxes were withheld they should file a tax return for a refund.  If the income was from self-employment of $400 or more then they would be required to file a tax return.

Your state may have different filing requirements than federal for dependents, so check your state tax website for information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies