a7yolan

My son graduated from college in may 2016. Can I still claim him as a dependent on my 2016 taxes?

nyinyeb

Yes, if a child is a full-time student for five out of twelve months during the year, they meet the test.

The following criteria also need to be met:

Qualifying Child

These 5 tests (all of them), will qualify a child as a dependent:

• Relationship: They must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: They had to live with you in the same residence for more than half the year. Being away at school is considered as living at home. 
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months of the year. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: child did not provide more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.