Solved: My return was accepted in February, with a total t...

rcraigmile

My return was accepted in February, with a total tax due over $3000, but I should owe less due to the tax break for unemployment. How can I avoid paying the full balance?

I've seen the IRS say they don't want people to file amended returns yet, but I don't want to overpay by nearly $2K for a later refund.

The IRS commissioner testified that they might be able to adjust peoples tax returns without requiring an amended return. However, there has been no official announcement. At this point, I would keep waiting, and watch the IRS website for news.  Since the deadline for making your payment has been extended to May 17, there is some time before you have to determine whether you should make a full or adjusted partial payment.