Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My partner and I are unmarried and live together with 2 children. How can I report dependent care expenses for a child that I am not claiming as a dependent?

Under "why aren't all my dependents listed" Turbotax indicates I should be able to claim dependent care expenses even though the person does not qualify as a dependent on my taxes, yet the software only gives the option to select people who are a dependent on my taxes from the drop down.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My partner and I are unmarried and live together with 2 children. How can I report dependent care expenses for a child that I am not claiming as a dependent?

When all of you live together as a family, only one parent can claim the child.  You cannot put the child's SSN on both of your tax returns.  That means only one of you can use the childcare credit.  The one who is claiming the child can use the childcare credit.   

You may be confusing some rules.   Parents who are divorced or never married and who LIVE APART can say there is an agreement that allows the custodial parent to get the childcare credit, earned income credit and fils as Head of Household; the other non-custodial parent gets the child tax credit.  

You say that all of you live together; so you do not have the option to use the "signed agreement" and share the child-related credits.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies