bakroenig

My parents took out a life insurance policy on me as a baby. It matured this year and the company sent me a check. Is this taxable?

macuser_22

Depends.  Did you receive a 1099-R with an amount inbox 2a or box 2b "not determined" checked?

bakroenig

I did receive a 1099-R with an amount in 2a but some people tell me I may have received it by mistake.  I called the company yesterday and was told they would return my call in 48 hours.

NCperson

the increased value of the policy (think interest over all those years) would be taxable income.