• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bakroenig
Level 1

My parents took out a life insurance policy on me as a baby. It matured this year and the company sent me a check. Is this taxable?

3 Replies
macuser_22
Level 15

My parents took out a life insurance policy on me as a baby. It matured this year and the company sent me a check. Is this taxable?

Depends.  Did you receive a 1099-R with an amount inbox 2a or box 2b "not determined" checked?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
bakroenig
Level 1

I did receive a 1099-R with an amount in 2a but some people tell me I may have received it by mistake.  I called the company yesterday and was told they would return my call in 48 hours.

NCperson
Level 15

the increased value of the policy (think interest over all those years) would be taxable income. 

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v