Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My parents claim me for 2023 as dependent b/c they supported me for more than 1/2 the year. doesn't that lower my standard deduction? Turbo Tax isn't adjusting for that .

IRS worksheet seems to want me to add $300 to my income to accommodste this, thereby reducing my standard deduction and increasing my liability
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My parents claim me for 2023 as dependent b/c they supported me for more than 1/2 the year. doesn't that lower my standard deduction? Turbo Tax isn't adjusting for that .

If you indicated in MY INFO that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent, the software is going to do all of those calculations for you--you do not have to figure out your standard deduction yourself.

The standard deduction amount for an individual who may be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer cannot exceed the greater of $1,250 or the sum of $400 and the individual’s earned income (not to exceed the regular standard deduction amount of $13,850).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies