turbotax icon
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My niece has been going to night school twice a week for 2 1/2 hours each night since July 2017. Is that considered a full time student so we can claim her on our taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

My niece has been going to night school twice a week for 2 1/2 hours each night since July 2017. Is that considered a full time student so we can claim her on our taxes?

Full-time is the number of credits the school considers as full-time so would would have to ask the school.  If your niece lived with you all year and had income of less then $4,050 for the year, and you provided more than 1/2 her support, you can probably claim her as a dependent anyway.  If she made more than that, she would have to be under the age of 24 at 12/31/17, and would indeed have to be a full-time student.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

Full-time is the number of credits the school considers as full-time so would would have to ask the school.  If your niece lived with you all year and had income of less then $4,050 for the year, and you provided more than 1/2 her support, you can probably claim her as a dependent anyway.  If she made more than that, she would have to be under the age of 24 at 12/31/17, and would indeed have to be a full-time student.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies