Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My kids have AL medicaid, my fiance (their dad) and i live together, i didnt work much this year and if he claims them will it effect their eligibility?

My kids 3 years and a 6 month old have alabama medicaid. I'm not married to their father but we are engaged and live together and are planning to get married in the next coming months. I only worked for 2 weeks out of this year and only made under about 400 dollars. My fiance made about 70k this year. Would it be better for him to claim our kids? And if so would this effect our kids being on medicaid? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My kids have AL medicaid, my fiance (their dad) and i live together, i didnt work much this year and if he claims them will it effect their eligibility?

This is a user forum for income tax.  We are not experts on the rules that determine eligibility for medicaid in all the states.   You have a question to ask medicaid.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Your finance can claim the kids and file as head of household. Don't know the effect on Medicaid. 

Yes----strictly from an income tax standpoint, your fiance could claim the children, get Head of Household filing status and get child-related credit like the child tax credit---which you cannot get since you did not earn enough to get CTC.   But we have no idea how BF claiming the children would affect their medicaid.    If you lived together all year and your income for 2023 was less than $4700, BF can even claim you and get the $500 credit for other dependents for claiming you.  Would that affect medicaid?  We do not know.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies