Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband was diagnosed as legally blind in both eyes because of Macular Degeneration this year.

I can we the the credit for his blindness?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My husband was diagnosed as legally blind in both eyes because of Macular Degeneration this year.

There is not a credit but an increase to the Standard Deduction for your filing status.  If he is age 65 or older and blind then he will get an increase for both

Standard deductions for 2023

Single - $13,850 add $1,850 if age 65 or older or blind
Married Filing Separately - $13,850 add $1,500 if age 65 or older or blind
Married Filing Jointly - $27,700 add $1,500 for each spouse age 65 or older or blind
Head of Household - $20,800 add $1,850 if age 65 or older or blind

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You are allowed an additional standard deduction for blindness by selecting blind for either the taxpayer, spouse or both, if applicable.

• Under 'Personal Information' on your federal return you would select your husband then answer 'Yes' to the question 'I was considered legally blind as of December 31, 2023.'

If you normally use the itemized deductions instead of the standard deduction because they are higher, you would be allowed to claim the medical expenses for 2023.  The medical expense category is limited to the amount that exceeds 7.5% of your income.  This amount plus other allowed deductions must be more than the standard deduction below (including the extra amount for being 65 or older and blind.

2023 Standard Deductions The 2023 standard deduction increases to: 

• $13,850 for single taxpayers and married taxpayers who file separate returns. 

$27,700 for Married couples filing jointly 

• $20,800 for Heads of household

Taxpayers who are 65 and Older or are Blind

For 2023, the additional standard deduction amounts for taxpayers who are 65 and older or blind are:

• $1,850 for Single or Head of Household (increase of $100)
  • $1,500 for married taxpayers or Qualifying Surviving Spouse (increase of $100)

If you are referring to your state return, please update here with your state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies