Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is Active Duty, but TurboTax is trying to charge us $90 to file. How do we wave this fee?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

My husband is Active Duty, but TurboTax is trying to charge us $90 to file. How do we wave this fee?

TurboTax Online (Free Edition, Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed) is free for enlisted active duty military and reserve personnel.  

To get started, enter your military W-2 and verify your military rank when prompted within your chosen TurboTax Online product (Free Edition, Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed). Your discount will automatically be applied when you file.

There’s no discount on TurboTax Live or TurboTax Desktop products (TurboTax CD/Download).

FYI when choosing a state:

Active duty service members have always been able to keep one state as their state of legal residency (usually their Home of Record) for tax purposes even when they move frequently on military orders. A state of legal residence (SLR) is also considered their “domicile” or “resident” state. For more information, see Filing State Income Taxes When You're in the Military.

Nonmilitary spouses can use their military spouse's resident state when filing their taxes. The Military Spouse Residency Relief Act (MSRRA) allows a nonmilitary spouse of a service member to keep the same resident state of the military spouse regardless of which state they live in. The Veterans Benefits and Transition Act allows that choice to be made regardless of when they were married.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You appear to be using Live Deluxe, which is a paid product.  The Live feature allows you to contact a tax expert CPA/EA on demand, and a final review of your return.   However, the Live products do not qualify for the military discount.   Here's how to remove the Live part:

FAQ:  How do I remove TurboTax Live?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-remove-turbotax-live/01/27312

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies