fabden18

My husband doesn't have ssn

I got married on Nov 2016 to a British and live with him in England, he's not filing for taxes in the US, only in England. Online its asking I fill in the box where it asks for his ssn or itin, but he doesn't have either since it doesn't pertain to him. How do I go about this?
Thanks

My husband doesn't have ssn

If you are a US citizen or US resident and your spouse does not have a Social Security number or an ITIN and you are not applying for an ITIN with the tax return then you can only file your tax return as Married Filing Separately.  Where asked to enter the spouse's Social Security number enter 999-88-9999.  You can only print and mail your tax return, it cannot be e-filed.  When you print the tax return erase the Social Security number for your spouse and manually enter NRA for non-resident alien.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the procedure to print and mail a tax return using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1944348-how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online