Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vaherrer

My husband and I married October 2023 and we are trying to calculate our community income to file separately. Do we prorate or count the whole year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My husband and I married October 2023 and we are trying to calculate our community income to file separately. Do we prorate or count the whole year?

Why don't you want to file a Joint return?  That would be easier and should be the best way to file.   Here's some things to consider about filing separately……

In the first place you each have to file a separate return, so that's two returns.  And if you are using the Online version that means using 2 accounts and paying the fees twice.  The Desktop CD/Download program would be better to use.

Many people think they come out better when filing Married Filing Separate but they are probably doing it wrong.  If one person itemizes deductions on Schedule A then the other one must itemize too, even if it's less than the standard deduction, even if it is ZERO!  And if you are in a Community Property state it can be complicated to figure out.

And there are several credits you can't take when filing separately, like the

EITC Earned Income Tax Credit

Child Care Credit

Educational Deductions and Credits

And contributions to IRA and ROTH IRA are limited when you file MFS.

Also if you file Married Filing Separately up to 85`% of your Social Security becomes taxable right away even with zero other income.

See …….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/married/help/is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-...

Married filing Separate in Community Property States

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/taxation/married-filing-separately-commu...

vaherrer

Thank you for this advice. We have considered the pros and cons of filing jointly versus separately, but I have income-based student loan repayments and filing jointly would make my payments go up a lot. So we're moving forward with MFS.

I just need assistance in figuring out whether we need to prorate our income from date of marriage or count our income for the whole year.

TomD8
Level 15

You pro-rate.  Income earned prior to your marriage is not community income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies