Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband and I live in England. I receive a w2 from USA but he only earns wages in UK. Should I file married separately or jointly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

My husband and I live in England. I receive a w2 from USA but he only earns wages in UK. Should I file married separately or jointly?

It depends.  If your spouse is a US resident or US citizen and therefore must file a US return on worldwide income then it may be better to file jointly and claim a foreign earned income exclusion for wages earned overseas.  Here is a link with more information on the foreign earned income exclusion.  You can complete returns both ways (joint and separate) to determine which has the greater tax benefit using a desktop (CD/download) product. 

In the "Wages & Income">"Less Common Income" menu you will find the "Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion" topic. 

If he is not a US citizen or resident and does not have a US filing requirement then you can file separately and possibly claim a foreign earned income exclusion on your wages earned overseas.  He will still need either a US social security number or Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN) to include on your separate return.  

Here is a link with more information on non-resident spouse tax filing.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies