The cost of installing the porch with the wheelchair ramp can be claimed as Medical expenses if your girlfriend's mom is itemizing her deductions.
Medical Expenses also include all medical and dental bills paid out-of-pocket and all health insrance premiums paid.
For tax year 2018, Medical Expenses are subject to the 7.5% rule and you can only claim the excess over 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income.
Please note that
Itemized Deductions will only "help" when they exceed your standard
For 2018, standard deductions are:
For a taxpayer under 65, not claimed as a dependent
- $12,000 for Single
- $24,000 for Married Filing Jointly, or Qualifying Widow(er) with dependent child
- $18,000 for Head of Household
- $12,000 for Married Filing Separately
- If you are over 65 or blind, add $1,300 for each instance if married or add $1,600 each instance if single or head of household
In TurboTax, you can enter Medical expenses by following these steps:
- In TurboTax, open your tax return
- Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Deductions & Credits on top of the screen
- Scroll down to All Tax breaks, locate the section Medical and click on Show more
- Click Start next to Medical Expenses.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Still have questions?Make a post