Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

my Federal refund is not correct -

I've completed my federal return, and the refund comes up as a "blended tax rate, giving me a higher refund than I should get.  While you might think I'd be happy about that. I am NOT happy.  Blended tax rates are used for corprations., not personal income tax. My refund amount should be taken from the tax table. 
I won't comlete this transaction unless this can get corrected.  There is a glitch in turbotax system which will cause me to do business elsewhere.   I used turbo tax for first time last year and was impressed, this year I am not impressed... I am frustrated and angry.   I know what my refund should be, and I'm willing to pay to efile it. but not if its done wrong.   I do not want the hassle of my return to get rejected or audited, or have to amend it.
I can't see the forms yet because I haven't paid yet.  You can only view the forms after you pay.  
 The help that is offered is talking to a robot, in order to talk to a live advisor I would have to upgrade.  I refuse to pay for an expensive upgrade when the problem is with turbo tax..  Turbo tax you need to fix your system..
I might attempt to clear everything out and start over to see what happens, if it comes up the same I will go elsewhere .  If it corrects itself I will go through TurboTax and efile ....  
   Turbo Tax should allow you to see your forms to see if the problem corrects itself before you pay..  I will only pay if its done correctly.  
Is anyone else having this problem....  How do you get help without paying for an upgrade which you shouldn't need to do.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

There is more than one tax table ---- do you have any capital gains or qualified dividends, for example?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

no I have no special circumstances , simple return, no capital gains, no qualified dividends..

I have used TurboTax since its beginning.  Before that I worked at the IRS and did my taxes by hand. 

Using TT was so much easier, faster, and gave me peace of mind of its accuracy.  I am a retired school teacher and have always looked for ways to save money (especially what I perceived as the exorbitant amount for Tax professionals). 

I understand your frustrations in the erroneous information on your return and applaud your integrity!

I have two options to suggest.  Obviously you want your return to be accurate, so you FIRST want to be able to look at the forms.  You can do that, after opening your TurboTax, by going to the blue section at the TOP, to the RIGHT of where it shows your refunds.  Click on the "Forms" icon, and then you will see a list of ALL forms to the LEFT side of the page.  From there you can go to the top of that list and click on each form.  I would look specifically for EVERY checkmark to see if something was inadvertently checked that you didn't intend.

I, myself, found that a checkmark (in the wrong place) can change everything!

SECONDLY, if after you carefully scan the forms (even on the interview pages), you don't find anything that would cause the error in your refund, then call either TurboTax INTUIT at [phone number removed] OR [phone number removed].  OR, try them FIRST!  They might be able to tell you the specific form (and what question number) for you to fix.

I sincerely hope this info helps you find a solution.  I know how frustrating it was for me when first learning the software.

Nancy97

Sorry to see that this forum doest allow phone numbers to go through!

I had to have found them somewhere.  Try googling TurboTax Help or Support or whatever you can think of.

marta998

I have used TT for many years and it is pretty good. The tax laws can be confusing. The tax law actually taxes you at a graduated rate so your overall rate should be less then what they have been taking out of your paychecks. for example:

$0-10,275    rate is 10%

$10,276-41,775    rate is $1027.59+ 12% of the amount over $10,275

$41,776-89,075     rate is $4807.50+ 22% of the amount over $41,775

$89,076-170,050  rate is $15,213+24% of the amount over $89,075

etc for the rest of the brackets

thank you for taking the time to respond to my message..
I was able to complete my return and file it..

thank you for taking the time to respond to my concerns.   I was able to complete my return and file it.. I've learned a few things along the way... You've been very helpful.. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my concerns... I really appreciate it. 
 I was able to complete my return and file it...  I checked and rechecked and made a call to get some help.
I learned a few things in the process that were very helpful.    Thanks again.. 🙂 

I was able to find a number to call and I was able to complete my return and file
Thank you for taking the time to try and help... much appreciated.

Carl
Level 15

My refund amount should be taken from the tax table. 

Not necessarily. The tax tables only apply to earned income, typically reported on a W-2 or 1099-NEC. Other income sources such as investment income and capital gains may be taxed at different rates and affected by income thresholds, filing status and the such.

thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.... interesting to hear about the different tax tables and how they work.. ..  I was able to complete my return and efiled it.   thanks for your help...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies