Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My ex wife claimed our child as a dependent last year, but didn’t receive the second stimulus for this dependent. I’m supposed to claim him this year. What do I do?

Does my ex wife have to claim this dependent again this year in order to receive the $600 second stimulus for him?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

My ex wife claimed our child as a dependent last year, but didn’t receive the second stimulus for this dependent. I’m supposed to claim him this year. What do I do?

Yes,  whoever claims the child (age 16 and under) on the Tax Year 2020 return will get any outstanding stimulus payments.  If the child turned 17 that could be why she would not have received a round two child payment.  Here is the way the program is set up right now and is of course subject to change at anytime. 

If your ex-spouse claims the child (age 16 and under) on her 2020 return she would get a credit on her taxes for a child round two stimulus payment as she would report that she received the round one payment already.

Keep in mind if you claim the child (age 16 and under) on your 2020 return, and assuming you did not receive any stimulus payments for the child to date, will indicate that on your return.  So assuming you meet the income requirements, you should get a credit on your taxes for child stimulus payments rounds one and two.  

Here is a link with latest information.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

why did  she not get the second stimulus payment?

Maybe it is delayed.

You should file the dependent since it is your turn.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies