Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My ex wife and I share custody of our son. We alternate years claiming him on our taxes, this is my first year not claiming him, do I just remove him from my household?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

My ex wife and I share custody of our son. We alternate years claiming him on our taxes, this is my first year not claiming him, do I just remove him from my household?

Yes, if you are not claiming him, it is easiest if you remove him completely from your return so as to not to cause any confusion.

However, are you the custodial parent or the noncustodial parent or is it a 50/50 split?

If you are the custodial parent, then your ex-wife would not be able to claim anything other than the Child Tax Credit even if it is her year to claim your son.  In this situation, you may be able to leave him on your return and claim him for the EITC and Head of Household.   If she would have already filed her return and did claim him for HOH or EITC, then your return may be rejected and you would need to print and mail your return.  The IRS would then use Tie Breaker Rules to determine who gets to claim HOH and EITC. 

If you are the non custodial parent or the split is 50/50, then it is best to completely remove him from your return.

Tax Info for NonCustodial Parent

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies