Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My estimated state refund is zero for Pennsylvania even though I uploaded 3 W2 s. I'm understanding why. My federal is decent so how can this be possible

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

My estimated state refund is zero for Pennsylvania even though I uploaded 3 W2 s. I'm understanding why. My federal is decent so how can this be possible

State income tax rates and withholding are independent of federal tax rates and withholding.  Your forms W2 have boxes 15-20 that contain the state/local tax information which is used to determine your state/local income tax.  Boxes 1 and 2 show your federal income and withholding.  

If the amount of taxes withheld (box 17) for the state is higher than your tax liability for the state you get a refund of the overpayment.  If the withholding does not exceed your tax liability there will not be refund and if not enough was withheld you would owe state taxes with your return filing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies