Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

terryvolf

My dependent child works part time at college. Do I have to set up another paid account for turbotax to do his very small return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
maglib
Level 11

My dependent child works part time at college. Do I have to set up another paid account for turbotax to do his very small return?

If your dependent is required to file (see below thresholds) then yes they need their own TT account, (just a note that the downloaded version of turbotax to your computer allows unlimited returns to be filed with up to 5 e-filed and when you have multiple returns is often the more economical method plus it allows more functionality such as drill down within the return and what most superusers utilize).  Your child will probably be free if it was just earned income and no deductions.  There is also Turbotax Freedom edition on another platform https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301359

Single dependents

Were you either age 65 or older or blind? 

No. You must file a return if any of the following apply. 1. Your unearned income was more than $1,050. 2. Your earned income was more than $12,000. 3. Your gross income was more than the larger of— a. $1,050, or b. Your earned income (up to $11,650) plus $350. 

Yes. You must file a return if any of the following apply. 1. Your unearned income was more than $2,650 ($4,250 if 65 or older and blind). 2. Your earned income was more than $13,600 ($15,200 if 65 or older and blind). 3. Your gross income was more than the larger of— a. $2,650 ($4,250 if 65 or older and blind), or b. Your earned income (up to $11,650) plus $1,950 ($3,550 if 65 or older and blind). 

Married dependents

Were you either age 65 or older or blind?

No. You must file a return if any of the following apply. 1. Your gross income was at least $5 and your spouse files a separate return and itemizes deductions. 2. Your unearned income was more than $1,050. 3. Your earned income was more than $12,000. 4. Your gross income was more than the larger of— a. $1,050, or b. Your earned income (up to $11,650) plus $350. 

Yes. You must file a return if any of the following apply. 1. Your gross income was at least $5 and your spouse files a separate return and itemizes deductions. 2. Your unearned income was more than $2,350 ($3,650 if 65 or older and blind). 3. Your earned income was more than $13,300 ($14,600 if 65 or older and blind). 4. Your gross income was more than the larger of— a. $2,350 ($3,650 if 65 or older and blind), or b. Your earned income (up to $11,650) plus $1,650 ($2,950 if 65 or older and blind).

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies